Saturday, October 15, 2005

if you can't stand the debate, then get out of the kitchen

In my family, or at least on my mom's side of the family, we debate things. Not just big things but everything. No topic is safe from being hashed out in a friendly debate.

Last week my mom and I got into a debate over Arminianism and Calvinism. At one point we even acknowledged that we were actually advocating the same position but in different terms. Did that mean that the debate was over? Of course not. My grandma and I could probably get into a lengthy debate over whether pie is best eaten warmed up with ice cream on it or room temperature without ice cream. No joke. Like I said, nothing is safe from debate.

The other thing you should know is that the point of these debates is not to "win" or be right. The most important thing is to make sure that the other person understands the position from which you are arguing. If my grandma and I did debate how pie should be eaten, we wouldn't do so with the intent of persuading the other person to change their position. But it would absolutely matter that at the end of the debate, we each felt that the other person understood what we were saying.

5 comments:

Janis VV said...

When Dad and I both read this, I laughed and Dad sighed.
Surprised?
Not really! :)

Bob said...

I think this is perfect. I'm the same way...and some people in my family go along with it. However, our purpose truly is to convince the other side that we are right...despite having the realization that no side will cave in.

Anonymous said...

that's like me arguing for the sake of arguing (cuz I like to argue!)

Anonymous said...

this is perfect! remember last week when we incidently debated over which was better: USD football or USD basketball and THEN that turned into whether indoor or outdoor football was better! We are truely ridiculous!

yellowgirl said...

you should have explained this to me in such clear terms ages ago! i feel as though i have had some kind of enlightment.