Monday, January 11, 2010

he had sent a man ahead

Last night I was reading Psalm 105, which I came across these verses:

(16) When he summoned a famine on the land and broke all supply of bread, (17) he had sent a man ahead of them, Joseph, who was sold as a slave.

I have probably read that passage before, but it never really struck me until last night. The entire Psalm celebrates God's faithfulness in keeping his promises. It recalls God's covenant with Israel, their wanderings in Canaan, their journey into Egypt, the plagues in Egypt, and their deliverance out of Egypt with God's provision in the wilderness. These two verses tell just one piece of that story.

They stood out to me because they highlight God's purposefulness. It wasn't just that Joseph happened to be sold into slavery and God said, hey, that's convenient, maybe I can make that work for me. Rather Joseph was sold into slavery with a larger purpose in mind -- the preservation of God's people. Actually look at the wording; it says that "he had sent a man ahead of them." Joseph's enslavement was no accident. It was ordained for a particular purpose. What seems like a hateful, evil act to us was necessary for a much greater good and God's glory to be displayed.

As it says in Genesis 50 regarding the same events:

(19) But Joseph said to them, "Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? (20) As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. (21) So do not fear; I will provide for you and your little ones."

His brothers meant to harm him out of jealousy, but God used the situation for His good purposes.

I think this stood out to me because so often we look at our own lives, the lives of friends and family, or the world around us, and we can easily feel overwhelmed by impossible and even evil circumstances that we live in on a sometimes daily basis. We begin to focus on the pain and confusion and take our eyes off the cross, when we need more than ever to cling to the cross at that moment, trusting that what may appear evil at the time can be used by God for good.

This was a good source of encouragement for me, and I pray that it will be for you as well.

4 comments:

Janis VV said...

This is very good.

Unknown said...

I love this! You can also see God's hand at work when Pharaoh sent out the order to kill all male babies during Moses' time. If this wouldn't have happened, Moses would not have ended up as prince! Another account is that of the Holocaust... because the Jews were so ravaged, they became non-complacent and decided it was time to take up residence in their rightful home - Israel. God sees the whole picture, while we get to see through a pinhole. That's what FAITH is for! - Liza

studiocitro said...

that's really good! well done, Melissa!

Lauren Valentine said...

Amen. I miss you friend!