Wednesday, May 30, 2007

georgia weekend

Since it was a 3-day weekend and because my window of opportunity for taking this trip was rapidly narrowing, I drove down to Georgia this past weekend to visit my older brother, who is stationed at Ft. Gordon for the time being. He's been there since February, I think, and I just have not made it down there. There are only 2 to 3 more weeks to go before he gets shipped out to some other base somewhere else in the world, so I knew that this may be my one chance to see him. Once he gets shipped out it could be 6 months to a year (or more) before I see him again.

So I drove the 7+ hour drive to Augusta... there on Saturday, back on Monday. It was a really short trip, but it was totally worth it :)

Weekend Highlights:
* I added 3 states to the list of states I've been to: North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

* I bought Georgia peaches from a little old man who was selling peaches out of the back of his pickup truck at a rest area. Mmm...

* We went to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. Fabulous. Go see it. Now. I feel like the ending was a bit unresolved, which makes me think they might have a fourth Pirate's movie in the works...

* I got to explore the army base. It was much larger than I thought it would be although Derek said that it's actually small for a base. When you enter the base, you have to zig-zag through a series of gates. I wish I had thought to take a picture of it. The turns were so tight that 5 miles per hour may have been too fast a speed to make it through. To enter you must be with a person who has a military ID, and they perform check 100% ID checks for all persons entering the base, and they are serious about that 100%. On base, it felt something like a cross between a college campus and a campground, which makes sense considering the classes taught and training offered on the base. I also got to see the barracks. They were, um, stark... depressing... lacking imagination... worse than dorm rooms, but livable.

* We explored the Augusta Riverwalk. It's a park that runs through downtown Augusta along the Savannah River. It was great way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon.


* Best of all I got to spend a couple days with my older brother :)

3 comments:

Janis VV said...

Sounds like a good time. Wish I could have been there too. :(

Anonymous said...

wow Derek doesn't even look like Derek...although it has been quite some time since I have seen him. i'm glad you had a good time!

yellowgirl said...

awww. fun weekend! i'm glad you got to do it. Did the georgia peach guy talk like he had rocks in his mouth? that's one of my more vivid georgia memories...