Tuesday, October 14, 2008

on television, or, how reality tv makes me cry

I currently have one television station that I can count on with any semblance of reliability: fuzzy NBC. Not even the local NBC affiliate, but one from an hour away over the mountains. Go figure. Really and truly I am fine with my one fuzzy station, which is good because I won't allow myself to justify paying for cable, dish network, or any other package that give one access to oodles and oodles of channels.

In all honesty, the real reason I don't pay for better, more, and clearer channels is because *said in a whisper* I would watch them, but you didn't hear that from me. It's true. I would watch countless hours of the 24-hour news cycle, Friends marathons (don't you miss Friends?), yet another episode of What Not to Wear, and nameless cooking and home decorating shows on TLC, HGTV, and the Food Channel. Plus, I might then feel justified in replacing my baby TV set some lovely friends bought me for undergraduate graduation or obligated to purchase something other than 2 file boxes on which to set my TV. None of this is allowed to happen, so I make do with my one, fuzzy channel.

There are certain shows I allow myself to watch, namely Chuck and The Office, and I do flip on the set every now and then out of boredom to see what "exciting" thing might be on. And invariably, I always turn it on during the last 20 minutes of The Biggest Loser.

You wanna know something? That show gets me every time. I'll be in a fine mood when I turn the show on, and by the end I'm always crying. If it's not over the elimination, it's over the clip they show at the end of how much weight the eliminated person has lost since he or she left the show or someone's tearful realization that they've been hiding behind their weight and don't really know who they are. I know that sounds terribly silly, crying over reality television, which everyone knows is edited for heightened dramatic effect.

There's just something that gets me about these ordinary people who decide that they've had enough and are going to do whatever it takes to regain control of their weight and their lives.

So maybe it's a really good thing that I don't have more than one channel, or I might spend even more time crying over reality TV.

2 comments:

Janis VV said...

I think you're just very tender hearted. :)

Anonymous said...

I only have NBC to....it's a good thing i like NBC shows. The Biggest Loser gets to me too..it's very inspirational!